Designers like to shake things up, which is why color rules have been thrown out the window. Yes, you’ll still find many rustic fall colors out there like: burgundy, pumpkin, brown and plum, but gentle pastels are popular too.
Soft, gentle pastels, normally reserved for spring and summer, are chic for fall. There’s lots of dusty blues, mint green, and pale pink.
Maybe it’s the growing acceptance of white as a year-round color that has sparked this new trend, or perhaps it’s just a desire for something different? Whatever the case, pastels can be a sophisticated choice in cooler weather if you style them right. Here’s how:
1. Wear Pastel Colored Clothing made of Warm Fabrics
As the weather starts to cool down, try cozy in pastels made from fall fabrics like wool and cashmere.
- A pastel colored sweater in a soft textured fabric works for fall. Try it out in a pretty blush pink shade.
- Pair the sweater with a neutral colored skirt or pants such as dove gray.
- Add another soft shade to your outfit to make your pastel pop.
- Keep your other accessories looking cozy too. Choose a cute bootie with a chunky heel in a warm camel color.
- A skinny beige belt worn around the waist will make your midsection look smaller and tie your look together.
2. Layer Pastels with Neutrals
A foolproof way to pull off pastels is to mix them with neutral pieces. Soft hues like icy blue look both feminine and mature when paired with warm beige tones.
- Make a statement with a pastel coat. Add neutral colored accessories. Taupe is always nice.
- Let your pastel piece speak for itself by keeping the rest of your look minimal.
- Layer a crisp white button-up shirt under a soft beige sweater and pair it with sleek trousers for a great office look.
- Keep jewelry minimal. A gold necklace and earrings add warmth to cooler pastel colors like frosty blue and mint green.
3. Combine Pastels in the same Color Family
An eye-catching way to wear pastels is to mix pieces within the same color family.
- Choose a color like the soft mint green in a long sleeve sweater and add-on other minty accessories.
- Colors don’t need to be an exact match. Just choose varying hues of your selected color (i.e. darker and lighter versions of mint).
- A knit scarf is the perfect way to add more color to your look. Wear one on top of a classically structured camel coat.
- Layer on a statement necklace in multiple pastel shades.
- For a casual day look, combine pastel pieces with a comfortable pair of dark jeans.
- Avoid a carrying a colored bag unless it’s in the same color family. A classic black leather bag will do the trick and adds modern contrast.
- A pair of neutral suede booties adds great texture to this look.
Are you on board to wear pastels this fall? These soft, pretty shades are a playful and energizing way to liven up your wardrobe when the days get darker and shorter and the cold starts to move in. Go for it.
Guest contributor Chantelle Collier
Color is a key element in looking fabulous after 40. Color can give you energy and make you look youthful, or it can drag you down and make you look old. Discover the colors that will make you Look Age-Amazing™ with my popular e-book Color Me Fabulous. Check it out and discover how to look wow in Color!
Did you like this Post?
This post contains revenue generating affiliate links which helps support my business at no additional cost to you. Thank you for shopping via my links.