Have you ever been out shopping and seen the most darling dress, but you stopped yourself from buying it because it was too short?
If you’ve ever passed on a dress that you really loved, here’s another way to think about wearing it. Many short dresses look fabulous when you wear them over dark, opaque leggings.
The challenge is that not all dresses are created equal. The dresses that work best worn with leggings are:
- Flowy Dresses – The wide over narrow silhouette is very flattering especially if you full figured.
- Shirtdresses – Usually they are just a tad too short to feel comfortable to wear with bare legs. Try one with leggings and a belt, sandals or flats.
- Tunic Style Dresses – Very popular, just watch that if they are slim fitting, you don’t see the waistband of the leggings underneath.
- Sweater Dresses – These look fab with leggings and flat riding boots in fall and winter.
The length of your dress can vary from mid-thigh to above the knee. If you are heavy on the bottom or thighs lean towards the longer length, but remember that anything past the knee will drag the outfit down and make you look dowdy.
A few other things to keep in mind. This is the type of outfit that can look edgy chic or like you were totally confused about what to wear that day.
To keep your dress and leggings outfit looking purposeful, mature and sophisticated follow these guidelines:
- Stick to black leggings- the perfect canvas for your dress and a very slimming color.
- Avoid dresses in junior or baby colors like bubblegum pink.
- Choose modern prints like graphic designs or bold florals rather than cutesy prints or tiny granny florals.
- Dresses with clean lines and minimum detail work better than dresses with frills, flounce or a lot of stuff hanging off them.
- Avoid babydoll style dresses – too junior.
- Dresses with some black in them to tie into the black leggings look most chic.
- Simple, informal short dresses work. Fancy formal short dresses do not.
Did you like this Post?
This post contains revenue generating affiliate links which helps support my business at no additional cost to you. Thank you for shopping via my links.