Leather leggings are edgy and sexy. Getting the look right depends on what you pair your skinny leather leggings with. How do you wear black leggings over 40 and 50 so that you look chic and not cheap? Here are a few other Do’s and Don’ts for how, and what to wear with faux leather leggings:
Leather leggings show everything. Don’t wear them with:
- tops that are too short
- tops that are too tight
- tops that are flimsy and see through
- very sexy tops with deep V-necks and cutouts
- tall, leather high-heeled boots
- anything with biker gang looking buckles, studs, and chains
- very heavy, masculine pieces
- too much glitz, shine
- cheap fabrics
- too much jewelry
- too many accessories
- piles of make-up
- big hair
- head to toe black
DO wear Black Leather Leggings with:
- tops that flow and are not too tight, so the silhouette is wider, looser on top and narrow, skinny on the bottom
- tops that end below your hip bones ( minimum) and even better that cover your bum, or longer
- cozy loose slightly oversized sweaters
- narrow cut ( but not tight) blouses and shirts
- tunic dresses or tops
- blazers layered with a long top or sweater underneath
- sporty and classic pieces
- feminine touches like lace or peplum
- long boyfriend cardigans and cascading sweaters
- rich fabrics like cashmere, silk
- trench coats, peacoats
- color- brights or neutrals
- tops with details at the neckline if you are wide below to draw the eye upwards
- few accessories- leather pants are a statement on their own
- Shoes or boots in black like your leggings to create a long, lean line. Flats like smoking slippers, ballet flats, and booties work well.
Remember, leather leggings are edgy and sexy. If you wear them with other very edgy things, you will look over the top- silly and not age appropriate. But if you pair them with elegant classics to contrast, you will hit the mark! It’s all about balance.
Take a look at these photos of Olivia Newton-John in Las Vegas. She’s in her 50’s and looks pretty darn hot!
If you’ve ever wondered about what shirt to wear with leather leggings, this is your answer. You see how simple and classy this black and white striped blouse looks worn with a tuxedo jacket.
Here’s Olivia again, this time in tan leather leggings and a gorgeous long top from Basler. This looks proves that you can look fab in leather pants over 40+; it’s all a matter of how you wear them. Dress classy, and you will look modern and hip. A tone-on-tone look is elegant for mature style.
What Top should you Wear with Leather Leggings?
There are many tops you can wear with leggings, which I will show you below. What’s common about all of them is they cover your bottom. The best tops to wear with leather leggings are:
A long open cardigan like this leopard print one looks super sleek over black leggings and a black top. When you wear a dark color head to toe under a lighter or brighter cardigan or jacket you look very slim because all the eye sees is the long, black column.
Long Shirts or Blouses
A long flowy blouse or a long crips button-up shirt is a very smart look with leggings. I think this type of outfit looks great with over the knee boots and a cool tote.
You can wear a dress with leggings, but it has to be the right dress. A short sweater dress that looks more like an oversized sweater is a chic look. Pair it with booties or your favorite slip-on statement sneakers.
Any kind of tunic looks great with leggings particularly if it flares out a bit at the bottom. When it has an asymmetrical hem, it gives an artsy look. A solid color is always striking with black leather leggings or wear a print with a bit of black in it to tie in with the black leather leggings.
A big beautiful oversized sweater looks fabulous with leather leggings. I love the black on black- so chic. The key to all black- mix up textures so it doesn’t look boring.
A poncho is another type of knit that looks great with leather/faux leather leggings. A poncho + leggings + riding boots is a very chic look.
One final note: I recently bought faux leggings, and after wearing them one, they stretched out, so you may want to think about going one size smaller. Check with the salesperson how much they are going to stretch.
Do you have ideas for what to wear with black leather leggings? If so, please comment or send me a photo. I would love to post it.
When Buying Leggings:
- Choose leather leggings in dark neutral colors like black or brown as darker colors are slimming and very versatile.
- A Matte finish is more subtle and richer looking than a shiny finish.
Your Top Can Make or Break Your Look
Keep it classic and tasteful. Pair your leather leggings with a:
- Silk Blouse or Tunic: Look feminine in a soft, silky blouse or long, flowing silk tunic.
- Sweater: By day, a long sweater looks relaxed and cozy, while leather pants give your look an urban edge. Sweaters with lots of embellishment like studs, glitter or beading are very in fashion and look great with leather pants.
- Blazer: Wear a slim fitting, but not baggy t-shirt ( untucked) + a blazer + leather leggings to look chic. This is a dressier version of blue jeans and a top. Layering pieces helps you create a wide to narrow shape that is very slimming.
Don’t Go Overboard with Accessories
Leather leggings make a strong statement. Too many accessories can look too flashy and trashy. Keep it simple. Try:
- A chic statement necklace or a few bangles to glam up your look.
- Keep your shoe to a flat or skinny-heeled pump, which will instantly elongate the legs. If you want to wear, boots try an ankle boot to look modern and hip.
With any trend that’s a bit edgy, it’s important to keep the rest of your look simple and streamlined. This will create balance, so your natural beauty shines through.
Did you like this Post?
This post contains revenue generating affiliate links which helps support my business at no additional cost to you. Thank you for shopping via my links.