Leather leggings are edgy and sexy, so they can be challenging to wear after 40, 50, or more. Nailing the look, so you appear chic and not cheap, depends on what you wear them with. For example:
Don’t wear leather or faux leather leggings with:
- short tops
- tight tops
- flimsy and see-through tops
- very sexy tops with deep V-necks and cutouts
- tall, leather high-heeled boots
- anything with biker gang details like buckles, studs, and chains
- weighty, masculine pieces
- too much glitz, shine
- cheap fabrics
- too much jewelry
- too many accessories
- piles of make-up
- big hair
- head to toe black
DO wear Black Leather Leggings with:
- tops that flow and are not too tight, so the silhouette is broader, looser on top and narrow, skinny on the bottom
- tops that end below your hip bones (minimum) or cover your bum, or go even longer
- cozy, loose, slightly oversized sweaters
- narrow cut ( but not tight) blouses and shirts
- tunic style dresses or tops
- blazers layered with a long top or sweater underneath
- sporty and classic pieces
- feminine touches like lace or peplum
- long boyfriend cardigans and cascading sweaters
- rich fabrics like cashmere, silk
- trench coats, peacoats
- color- brights or neutrals
- tops with details at the neckline if you are wide below to draw the eye upwards
- few accessories- leather pants are a statement on their own
- Shoes or boots in black like your leggings to create a long, lean line. Flats like smoking slippers, ballet flats, and booties work well.
- By pairing leather leggings with elegant classics, instead of other sexy, trendy pieces, you’ll balance out the edginess and create an ageless, hip outfit.
What Tops should you wear with Leather Leggings?
There are many tops you can wear with leggings, which I will show you below. What’s common about all of them is they cover your bottom. The best tops to wear with leather leggings are:
1. Long Shirts
A long shirt that covers, matte or silky adds a feminine touch to leather leggings, which have more of a masculine vibe.
2. Cozy Sweaters
A long sweater looks relaxed and cozy, while leather pants give your look an urban edge. This black turtleneck looks great with these brown leggings. Notice the cool faux croc print, which adds some nice texture and personality to this outfit.
3. Long Cardigans
A long open cardigan looks super sleek over black leggings and a tank top. This outfit looks super sporty with these athleticwear style leather leggings that are new from Spanx.
4. Dresses with Faux Leather Leggings
You can wear a dress with leather leggings, but it has to be the right dress. A short sweater dress with faux leather leggings is a chic look. Pair it with booties or your favorite slip-on statement sneakers.
5. Tunics and Knit Tunic Sweaters
Any tunic or tunic sweater looks great with leggings, particularly if it flares out a bit at the bottom. When it has an asymmetrical hem, it gives an artsy look. A solid color is always striking with black leather leggings or wear a print with a bit of black in it to tie in with the black leather leggings.
Wear a slim fitting, but not baggy t-shirt ( untucked) + a blazer + leather leggings to look chic. This is a dressier version of blue jeans and a top. Layering pieces helps you create a wide to narrow shape that is very slimming.
A poncho is another knit that looks great with leather/faux leather leggings. A poncho + leggings + riding boots is a very chic look.
Not Sure about Leather Leggings? Try Suede Leggings, Instead
If you can’t quite wrap your head around leather leggings but want more of an edgy look than a Ponte legging, try suede leggings. They are hip, but also elegant.
One final note: I recently bought faux leggings, and after wearing them one, they stretched out, so you may want to think about going one size smaller. Check with the salesperson how much they are going to stretch.
Do you have ideas for what to wear with black leather leggings? If so, please comment or send me a photo. I would love to post it.
PIN FOR LATER!
Did you like this Post?
This post contains revenue generating affiliate links which helps support my business at no additional cost to you. Thank you for shopping via my links.