I have a dog and spend a lot of time walking him around the neighborhood. What can I wear besides trainers and old tees? I’m in my late 40s, and I don’t want to look sloppy. Thanks! Linda V. ~
Hi Linda, Good question. Let me start by showing what some real women over 40 wear, and then we can come up with a recipe.
Here’s me and my dog Bella. It’s October, and in Ontario, and I’m wearing a sweater, jeans, and this cute zip-up vest. On my feet, I’m wearing flats, black suede booties.
This gal had the same idea, except she wore a faux fur vest.
both outfits from @shopeterkate
This last woman is wearing a cute jacket, riding boots, and this great scarf.
Here is a style recipe for a good “walking the dog” outfit:
- Tall, Flat Boots are Stylish – In the fall, the first thing in your style recipe should be a good pair of tall boots. Tennis shoes are great if you are going on long hikes, but if you are going around the block and want to look nice, a pair of boots will certainly “up” your style factor! You never know who you might run into, so why not look fashionable? Short flat booties are also a nice option.
- Skinny Jeans or Leggings – The next item to add is a pair of dark wash, skinny stretch jeans. They are comfy and look great tucked into boots. You can also wear leggings.
- Crazy for color! Anytime you wear color up by your face, it will put you in a good mood. Just try it and see!
- Surprise yourself, try a scarf! If you are one of those gals who own a few scarves but never wears them…then I encourage you to get them out and start wrapping yourself up in one, asap!
- Coat – casual and confident. Is your dog-walking outerwear looking shabby and outdated? It might be time for an update! Find something warm but interesting. Texture and color are exciting, or if it’s too warm for that, why not wear a vest as we have here?
It doesn’t take much to look like a top dog when you are walking your pooch. Follow these tips to stylish and feel comfy!