When you are stuck for what to wear nothing says summer like white pants! They’re the perfect casual fashion for women over 40 because they look fresh, sporty, youthful, and they go with most anything.
If you worry, “Will white make me look fat?”, put this out of your mind. It’s all about choosing the right white pants and knwoing what to wear with them. We talked about how to do that in our “Are white pants in style for 2012″ post, but here are a few more tips:
1. Don’t buy white pants that are too tight
Black recedes, white advances, so while it is true that white is more likely to show off lumps and bumps, there’s an easy fix for this. Make sure your white pants skim your body, but are not tight. I (Deborah) just bought a pair of white cropped pants and went up a size sow very little crease wouldn’t show.
2. Make sure your white pants are not see through
We tend to like thicker white pants, like white jeans, because then you can hide any rolls or bulges, and also you don’t have the problem of unsightly pocket linings or zipper reinforments showing through. If you really want to wear lighter white pants, like a pair of lightweight linen ones, then you may want to cut out the pockets and also wear shapewear underneath if you think others might be able to see through to your behind.
3. Check your white pants in a full length mirror
A side note on see through… I swear to God this happened. A woman came to my garage sale wearing thin white pants. You could see her maxi pad throught her pants from the rear view. I had to gently inform her. Not good.
4. Stay away from white pants with a lof of “stuff” on them
What we mean by this is that if you want to look slim wear a pair of white, flat front pants with no detail around your problem area which for most women over 40 is the tummy. Belt loops, zippers,pockets all add bulk where you don’t need it.
5. Wear a colorful top with white pants. If you wear a colorful print or solid top with your plain white pants your pants will be much like an artist’s easal – a simple backdrop for a colorful focal point. Everyone will look at your top. Jewelry works to draw the eye up towards your face too.
6. Use tanner with caution when you wear white pants
White always looks better with a tan. If you are using tanning lotion be sure to apply well ahead of time. If it is not dry enough it will rub against your pants and leave tacky stains.
7. Don’t spend a lot on white pants
Have you ever noticed that if you have had white pants for more than one season they tend to yellow slightly? Best to get them on sale if you can and wear the heck out of them for a season or two. Then it’s time to donate them.
Did you buy white pants this season? Send us a photo and let us see how you rocked this look. We love great examples of Casual fashion for women over 40. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will post your photo.